Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hystery of the Bessie mystery

With the "Who Neva Married" mystery on hold, I can move on to the other mystery in my family: who was my mother's mother's mother.

Here is literally all we know ('we' being my mom): my great-grandmother's name is Bessie Hibbs. No that name is not made up. Her and my grandmother's brother--name unknown--died tragically in a car accident. She was married to John Ristow. Bessie died when my grandmother was 10.

And that's it. Anytime my mom asked questions, my grandmother shot her down and didn't answer anything.

I have my grandmother's birth certificate that lists Bessie Hibbs as the mother, so we know she existed at least. I have a letter written by the husband of a woman named Mildred Hibbs who went by a shortening of her middle name "Betty". However the only connection is the last name; it could all just be a giant coincident.

I found absolutely nothing at FamilySearch.org except crap about the woman John remarried Beulah. Beulah Ristow is not Bessie, damn it...

What sucks is that the birth certificate of my grandmother had literally no other information other than her birthday, the day the certificate was filed, and her parent's names. It's nuts, I can't find anything.

My mom thinks that my grandma never talked about it because it was sort of a cursed topic. Not only did her mother die when she was 10-years-old, but her husband died when my aunt was 10-years-old also (my mother at the time was only 2).

However, since we know that my grandmother was 10 when Bessie and my grandmother's brother died, and my grandmother was born in 1921, we can assume that the car crash occurred somewhere around 1931. New Jersey Vital Statistics has it set up where it costs $25 per certificate, with an additional $1 for each year to be searched.

I suppose I'm not above spending $70 for a death certificate :-( ...

No comments: