Sunday, September 4, 2011

Great G-Ma Bessie Update #2: Well... I guess I found one good thing...

As I mentioned before I didn't really find anything at the Mormon LAFHL, and that's the truth; I found nothing that answered any of my questions. However, I realize now that it was a 100% bust. Maybe about 95%. Here is what I did find:

Check it out.

That is the marriage announcement of Bessie Hibbs and John Edward Ristow. I know the type is basically gone, but if you look at the third line you can plainly see "Edward" and the surrounding type looks like "John" and "Ristow". The important thing about that is that article is a snippet from the April 24th, 1920 newspaper the Trenton Evening Times. Now I at least have a year pertaining to Bessie.

But even I sent in a request for the marriage certificate, what would it tell me? All the marriage certificates I've seen only mention:

1) The people getting married
2) Those people's parent's names (sometimes)
3) The date of the marriage
4) The reverend conducting the ceremony
5) ...
6) profit

Nothing about birth dates, nothing about when they died (obviously), not a piece of information I need. It would be awesome to actually have the marriage certificate, but it's $25.

Also, I've found on the 1930 census that John Ristow is already married to his other wife, Beulah. My grandmother was only 9, not 10 like she first told my mother. But this begs the question: if Bessie died when my grandmother was only 9, how long did it take for John Ristow to bounce back and get remarried? It appears it took not long at all.

I'm still incredulous to the fact that there's NOTHING in any of the Trenton papers about Bessie's death. I wonder if the crash was so bad the faces were unrecognizable so the bodies remained unidentified. Well no, that wouldn't work either because John Ristow would still know that it was his wife and child in the car that crashed. I wonder if the bodies were identified after the newspaper article ran. That way there wouldn't be any names in the article.

There's simply GOT to be something somewhere...

No comments: