Sunday, August 28, 2011

G-Pa Tom Update #7: Neva's Death Certificate.

Well I got the death certificate in the mail, and to my surprise/dismay it didn't list Neva's husband's name. It does however say "Widowed," so that tells me he passed first (obviously). Any little clue helps. Turns out Neva died at her place of residence: Chandler Convalescent Hospital.

Instead of a husband's name, as the 'Informant' it lists a daughter's name, Patricia Russell (apparently my grandfather's step-sister). The address of her home is also in Glendale; where Neva died.

The thought crossed my mind to go and visit this address to see if Mrs. Russell's family still lives there. That way I can get a ton more information, and that would seriously make my day. However Neva died in 1980; that's 31 years ago. Chances are slim the family is still living there.

Plus I don't know how weird it would be if some 6'6 tall stranger showed up asking questions about their family.

Unfortunately, unless I actually do that, I have no more leads. I have absolutely no idea how to figure out what "Hammond" Neva married. At first I thought about visiting the hospital where Neva lived, but again, it was 31 years ago and I'm not sure how far back the patient records go. Plus I called there already and the lady I talked to didn't really understand what I was asking and told me, "Try calling our North Hollywood location."

Thanks, Esquella.

No comments: