Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Hystery of the Mystery

Hopefully I remember to update this blog regularly with the progress I make with my family history. I just recently got into genealogy and am becoming more and more interested in it. Along with the interesting things (which aren't really that interesting to talk about) comes the mysteries that get uncovered as I dig deeper. One mystery is about my father's father's father, and the other mystery is about my mother's mother's mother.

Great Grandfather:
As the story goes, my great-grandfather, in an effort to escape his past, changed his name to Hammond. It was said he didn't do this legally, he just started calling himself Hammond. His born name was "Lavere." Everything else about him was unknown: birthday, first name, potential wives, everything. At this point, the thing I find most strange is that my mother asked my grandfather about this, so it was her first time hearing any of this. Also however, it was my father's first time hearing this as well. That means my grandfather hadn't mentioned this to anyone before. What was he hiding?

Great-Grandmother:
This is the story about Bessie Hibbs. I 'm lucky enough to have a mother who is also interested in genealogy (as mentioned in the story above), so my mom accumulated a lot of information already; but not nearly enough. See my grandmother's brother and her birth mother both died in a car accident when my grandmother was about 10-years-old. On top of that, my grandmother's husband died when my aunt was also 10-years-old, so we think it sort of haunted my grandmother, resulting in her never talking about it. We don't know anything about Bessie or her son (my grandma's brother): where they were born, when the accident occured, anything.

This is the story of my quest to solve these mysteries.

No comments: